On March 3, 2011, the Agency approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that induces Matthews Harley-Davidson to double its current dealership from 7,000 to 14,000 square feet, retain and expand all company sales and service dealership operations at its current site at 548 North Blackstone and dedicate right of way for improvements. In turn, the Agency will reimburse MHD for construction of public improvements along Abby, Blackstone and White Avenue street frontages required by its expansion.
The business is located at a high profile intersection near Blackstone, Abby, Belmont and the 180 Freeway on/off ramp. MHD established by the Mathews family as a new Harley Davidson (HD) dealership in 1953 has operated at this location since 1961. After an extensive two year process, MHD secured approval from HD Corp. to remain and expand at this site based upon the commitment of the family to heavily invest in facility upgrades and the commitment of the Agency to support its plans. The MOU helps to address blight at this highly visible location, improve public infrastructure and induce a successful business to remain, expand and invest in the Central Area for the long term.